Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Just Another Day At The Office - Short Script

Just another Day At The Office
A Short Screenplay
By
David Quinn

Copyright 18/03/2009




















INT. Office Floor – Day
A large office floor with many cubicles. Murmurs of telephone conversations fuse with the feint sounds of printing and fax machines.



INT. Cubicle – Day
A desk scattered with stationary and take-away cups of coffee. A hand is spinning a pencil between the fingers. The computer screen shows a game of minesweeper being played. Turn to see Sebastian Hemp as he sits slouched in his chair, staring motionless at the screen in front of him. He wears a white shirt and pink tie combination but both are shabbily worn and less than presentable. He wears a telephone headset with the left side purposely not covering his ear and a thin wire comes from his left ear which is attached to an Ipod. The telephone rings, and after the fifth ring Sebastian puts huge effort into reaching for the phone and presses answer.




Sebastian
Good afternoon and welcome to Intershop.ie customer support.
My names is Steven, can I please have your ID number?



Caller
Don’t hang up on me… I mean it, don’t hang up or I’ll… I’ll… you wont
Listen, you never listen. If I’m in pain you might listen.



Sebastian
… Ok… Sir… I’m here to listen…
What can I help you with?



Caller
HELP… Help… Jesus man, I can’t fucking take it… It’s too fucking much
To deal with… I can just end it all… You would love that wouldn’t you?





A woman is walking past the cubicle and catches Sebastian’s eye. He covers the microphone on the headset and calls to her.



Sebastian
Carol!



Carol
Sebastian? What’s the matter?



Sebastian
Get Derek now!



Caller
Hello! I can’t believe this, Hello! I am literally about to jump out this
Window, are you going to talk to me?



Sebastian
Yes, Sir… Hello, I’m still here. Would you like to tell me the problem and I can try my best to help.


Caller
I don’t know if you can anymore… It’s too late.


Sebastian
Please Sir, you called for help and I am trying my best to offer
what I can. I want to help and would feel personally responsible if something… Happened to you.


Caller
You can’t SAVE me! I need someone to pour my heart out to, so I can go in peace. You are just a robot. An automated voice on the end of a premium fucking line!

Sebastian
NO Sir. I am real, I am a person and I want to help. I WANT to.
I am asking you to talk to me… Look, my real name is Sebastian.
We are told to use an alias as to not endanger ourselves. But I want you to know me so you feel comfortable enough to tell me whatever is on your mind. I’m sure you’re not a bad guy and you have friends and family that care about you. People care enough about you that they’d be heartbroken if you did anything to yourself. Please, for their sake, talk to me and lift the weight from your shoulders.



As Sebastian rambles on the telephone, Derek, his line manager enters the cubicle and stands over him to monitor the situation. Sebastian turns to him once finished his speech and gives a positive wink.


Caller
I’m sorry friend… The weight is just too heavy.


The line goes dead.


Sebastian
Hello? Hello? Sir? HELLO?


Derek
Well? What was all that about?


Sebastian slouches back into his chair, clicks play on his Ipod and opens a window on his computer with a new game of minesweeper on it. He yawns.


Sebastian
Nothing much, Boss. Just another Issue 49, but I handled it.


Derek nods and leaves the cubicle. Sebastian continues staring motionless at the screen and eventually breathes an under-enthusiastic sigh.



THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment